Monday, July 5, 2010

Amber Waves of Grain

For the longest time, when I would introduce myself, I would use this line from "America the Beautiful" to help people remember my name. That stopped when I dyed my hair brown/red. But Good News! I'm blonde again! Haha. This is all beside the point that I am trying to make....

Until today, I thought that the patriotic songs we sing were just songs to sing on the 4th of July- Only sung because they were traditionally sung. As I was listening to BYU radio this morning, A few of these songs came on, and I realized how BEAUTIFUL they really are. They give life & voice to the feelings of people who FOUGHT so DESPERATELY for FREEDOM; Something I have had my entire life, thanks to those brave souls who had a hand in founding this country...

I don't think that it would have hit home so hard if I hadn't had a major discussion on the Political/Moral standing of this country with my parents yesterday. As we discussed, I became more & more upset- physically sick to my stomach. I wanted to stand up and shout from the rooftops that.....Blah blah blah....Yada Yada....We are all giving up freedoms left and right! {This is not a "political issue" blog entry.} ANYWAY-

Today I realized that we have been commanded to Stand for Truth and Righteousness. And I am SO GRATEFUL that I live in a country where I can do that everyday without fearing for my life. I am free to express my beliefs...I am free to worship God. And Everything will be ok...God is in control. Everything happens for a reason. We will grow and learn. I am thankful for the opportunities we have to Fight for what we believe in. It makes what we are fighting for more valuable to us...

To those who immortalized those feelings in song, and to those who gave so much for me... I thank you, from the "land of the free, and the home of the brave."


{ ♥ .}

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I also love this post! I am super duper patriotic. I love those songs as well. I also love the way you've introduced yourself- it's cute. And finally, I LOVE your new blog banner. Your photo with the "live, laugh, love" is perfect!

Katheryn Wiederhold said...

Love it!! I miss you chica. keep blogging so I can see what your doing. ha :)